Who's afraid of Andre Chang?

Andre Chang 01


Back in November 2007, I tried to start this blog with my very first entry — I just published an article I wrote for a national daily. But it was only in July 2008 that I really started the ball rolling. But guess who was featured in that initial entry? No other than Andre Chang, a stranger whom I just bumped into at the mall. He graciously agreed that I take his picture using my old Motorola mobile.


About this look: Strange Love Friendly Fires
BJ Pascual, photographer extraordinaire shot this with minimal lighting and props but voila a fantastic frame capturing me in a somber contemplative mood. I never knew I could look this serious. Hehe. I also love the addition of a high chair because I never tried sitting in my photos ever before. Here is my attempt in looking elegant and poised... :) 
Thanks BJ!

Soft-shouldered suit with gold hardware, Custodio; tailored trousers, Comme des Garçons; patent hybrid ski boots, from Hong Kong



Andre Chang 02


Fast-forward to 2010 and so much has changed — so many things happening besides — about Andre's style. I have had the chance to talk to him when we would meet at Philippine Fashion Week. Always, he would have the most distinct outfit among the fashionistas and the guests.


About this look: Dr. Pharaoh
I am wearing an Ovoid coat. Though very tailored it has the volume and proportion of a lab coat or relaxed parkas. The difference is the pattern in which the coat is shaped. It has this egg shape curve which starts at the shoulder and tapers at the hem above the knee. I know its quite different to the eye because it is not the slim tapered silhouette we are very used to seeing but it is a very functional piece because it is good for layering. 
Styling wise I played with the idea that I am part Willy Wonka and part mad scientist:)

Ovoid coat, Protacio; pinstriped white collar shirt, vintage; cross over satin tie with pearl, Andre Judd; white round frames, Proto; chunky wedges, Andre Judd; black skinnies, Lee



Andre Chang 03


You immediately know that each time he goes out, Andre inhabits a certain persona.


About this look: Arch Nemesis
If I were split into two me in this look would be the arch nemesis of my previous look (Samurai Showdown)…
I like doing anti-theses in fashion, like opposing my previous look. I think that what drive trends to come and go. 
Photo by BJ Pascual

Caftan-length tuxedo shirt, Marlon River; fringed croc skin satchel, Yako Reyes; leather obi sash, Marlon Rivera; twisted seam check trousers; Andre Judd; tie dye wedge shoes, Andre Judd; flat front wayfarers, AC for FH



Andre Chang 04


A character who is derived from so many varied sources.


About this look: Mods Versus Punks
This defiant stance to try something different led me to use these daring accessories (from Holiday 2010 collections by some of Manila's new breed of influential designers). Their works are perfect examples of how art and fashion can be one. They are a perfect to wear with clean, tailored pieces like this amazing long coat and the check shirt and trousers.

I like that the look has this retro 50s future meets punk vibe but totally modern at the same time as exemplified by the treatment of the metallic leather boots and crystallized beetle brooch. 
Photo by BJ Pascual

Rounded wayfarers, AC for FH; crystallized beetle brooch, Custodio; metal plate belt with sash, Don Protasio; long coat, check shirt, check bondage pants: all M Barretto; metallic leather boots, Doc Martens



Andre Chang 06


Or even just plucked from the air.


About this look: Chasing Liberty
Going through some emotional stuff. I wanna free myself.

Cut-out tee, Robi Lolin; cable knit beret; purple brogues, thrifted



Andre Chang 07


Andre weaves through the eras.


About this look: British Raj
As much as I appreciate clean lines and polished business attire, my personal style tends to gravitate towards the detailed and opulent. It just so happened that when we were having a meeting, I decided to spruce up the so called "corporate" getup with my own ethnic twist. The harem pants remind me of india so I paired it with brocade/leather flats and raj inspired jewelry.

Balancing the look to make it appropriate for a meeting I wore a four-pocket military suit. Overall I look like a British meets India official.

I love those vintage steel cabinets in my background because they look very military as it compliments my look.

Vintage shirt, Perry Ellis; vintage silver with turquoise neckpiece, from Rome; aviators, vintage; custom-made brocade with leather flats, from Hong Kong; contemporary bangles and vintage pieces: Avatar, vintage, and own designs; harem parachute silk pants, Promod; military jakcet, Rajo Laurel for Wharton



Andre Chang 07b


He is a sieve for the zeitgeist.


About this look: Grungey-Green Monster
I love impromptu dressing. Its what I call last minute efforts to come up with a look without throwing much thought but somehow feels perfectly thrown together. Not that its an easy thing to do but its quite a thrill to have a look in 5 minutes and have it sum up your mood for the day without having regrets later on that: ... "Fuck! These shoes aren't made for walking!" I felt silky and slinky that day so I opted for varying degrees of shine: matte silk vintage shirt and PVC-ish glossy jackets worn together with shiny and dull metal accessories. Throw in an expected color like the tan round frames and an unexpected accessory like a black knit turban then you have some cross breed grunge junkie socialite partying in a souk with rock stars.

Silk shirt, French vintage; PVC jacket, Protacio; knit turban, Andre Judd



Andre Chang 08



A certified Lookbook star. (I think I even took a photo of one of his earliest outfits on the site.)


About this look: Spiked Militia
I love olive/fatigue and how beautiful it looks with black and light blue chambray. Add gold and silver et voila military opulence. The tie dyed hat is a piece I designed and it goes so well with the whole look. I love the detail of the silk fringed scarf worn as belt so I will try to post more photos of the scarf in my comments section soon.

Gold revo aviators, Proto; silk tasselled scarf and zippered pocket trousers: both Protacio; gabardine military button down, vintage; chambray shirt, Logg; tie dyed and spiked baseball cap, AC for FH; skull pendant worn as brooch, Firma; boots, Doc Martens



Andre Chang 09


Though he is a designer himself, and often promotes his own pieces through his outfits (who wouldn't?), he makes it a point to propose how to wear the pieces of other local designers.


About this look: I AM NOT A ROBOT
minimalist.military. utilitarian. biker. techno punk. 80s.
I love accessories and how it makes an outfit whole. No wonder Chanel is such a success non? I love how the gauntlet appears like a sleeve extension creating a detail in a very simple shirt. Its like a new twist to your conventional bracelet or cuff. The gauntlet is made from molded plastic adorned with metal pieces.

The boiler suit is another interesting piece because its dyed with natural pigments to give that rustic green color. Its one beautiful creation that is totally earth-friendly.

The title is inspired by Marina and the Diamonds's namesake single. I just like how it describes the almost robotic techy look I'm wearing.

Gauntlet, Custodio; cotton shirt, Martin Margiela; parachute silk boiler suit, Eairth; leather star earring, FHSC; rounded specs, Ray Ban



Andre Chang 10


He mixes foreign and local as he mixes fads and decades.


About this look: Edwardian Minimalism
I must have been a dandy in my past life:)

Brown ankle booties and striped suit: both Zara; black satin crossover tie, Andre Judd; chocolate brown wool boater hat, 50s havana shirt, and black rounded frames: all vintage; stacked skinnies, Lee



Andre Chang 11


Of course, with that twist that is uniquely his.


About this look: Dandy Liberty
The jacket reminds me of old America and how men wear striped suits with boater hats and had this very dandy flair. I like the idea of taking this past inspiration and turning it into something new and exciting. Custodio deconstructed the basic men's suit and made it into a dramatic semi cape with trailing fabric sashes coming from a continuous pattern without seams. Very couture-like. There is also fabric tucked inside so when its pulled out the jacket becomes an overlapping coat. I opted to keep it tucked in because we took this shot under a time crunch. Maybe next time I'll do another shot of it. What is also incredible about this jacket is the fabric. At first glance it looks like cotton jersey striped fabric but what people don't know is when you reverse it the backing reveals the fabric to be faux leather. Incredible piece of work both in its construction and fabrication. Thats what I call a reinventing the classics.

PS A friend told me the outfit resembles the character from DC Comics "Hawk" from "Hawk and Dove". Actually! :) All I need is some mask then I'm off to crime-fighting :)

Kate Moss brooch, Alex + Chloe; versatile suit/cape/jacket, Custodio; striped bowtie, FH; leopard print belt, AC for FH; distressed skinnies, from Hong Kong; frames with gold temples, vintage; beige snakeskin wedges, Andre Judd



Andre Chang 12


As you may have already noticed, he even moves through moods like painter's stylistic periods (think Picasso).


About this look: Pacifico La Pagayo
Last fall winter (or Holiday season here in Manille), I was immersed in black. I love black and anything dark. I felt like it was to stay that way ... till spring came. Usually when I get immersed in a sort of pattern in dressing another side of me automatically switches on and completely changes my perspective on things. Keeping an open mind, I opened myself to color once more. In certain times this color explodes in variations but today I expressed myself completely in a very avian way or by means of hmmm Roy Lichtenstein? I'm lacking pointillist details though?

Jacket, vintage Oscar dela Renta; dyed feathers epaulet; croc clutch, Andre Judd; metallic leather with ostrich hi-tops, Nike



Andre Chang 12b


Every segment of the sartorial spectrum is inspected.


About this look: RvB Salute!
I'm having a Red versus Blue day. I just wore basic pieces together. It's almost sporty, almost preppy, almost geek chic, almost anything.

Pleated trousers, Zara; skull and oxblood leather bracelet, Custodio; silk bomber, vintage; red button down shirt, Protacio; checkered canvas tote, striped laminated canvas, and patent gray slim belt: all AC for FH



Andre Chang 13


Casual, modish, nostalgic.


About this look: I dream of Aegean
What a glorious morning. Just me in my sweats waking up to a chilly morning.

Cire jacket and Navajo-inspired belt: both FHSC; favorite gray tank with ethnic print; round frames, vintage



Andre Chang 14


Ethnic, futuristic, avant-garde.


About this look: Mr. Brightside
"Dress normally" is a phrase I rarely use in my vocabulary. For me there are so many exciting things to try in fashion than just settle for anything conventional. I guess I am tired of conventional because I've been there.
Despite that there are so many ways on how to dress, all mapped in a specific name like: preppy, punk, skate, bodycon, 80s, etc. I prefer to go beyond the context of these looks and create my own fashion vocab. I think its more fun don't you think? If the most influential designers can do it, why cant we the fashion folk?

In this look I simply took out the old notion of how a varsity jacket should be worn. Instead of wearing it casually with t shirt and jeans why not wear it with tailored pieces? To offset the formality of the shirt and pants, I chose whimsical touches like the x styled scarf, the spiked bow tie, and metallic sneaks. To add more quirk I wore it with my rounded specs to blur the lines between student/professor/geek/professional. To stamp the look I wore my personalized coif.

Spiked bowtie and brown vintage finish tote: both AC for FH; varsity jacket, vintage; round frame specs, from Hong Kong; checkered patchwork X scarf , Andre Judd; metallic pinstriped trousers, Protacio; AC for FH; red metallic sneaks with blue ostrich skin trim, Nike



Andre Chang 15


Who else in Manila has continually and consistently changed his look?


About this look: Looking new looking old
The Tudors, Josh Clarkson, Chinese quilting, silks, tartans, work boots, and old century rounded specs. Rust, olive, dusky browns, tan, and gold. Photograph by Chari

Rounded specs, Republik; cotton macrame scarf, Eairth; quilted tafetta cardigan, Andre Judd; gold mesh brooch with crystals, vintage; tartan patched corduroys, Andre Judd



Andre Chang 16


It doesn't sound hollow to say that he offers a glimpse of the possibilities for local fashion.


About this look: The Lights Go On, the Music Dies
Pattern clash. Hi contrast checks paired with leopard prints and somber grays. Re-proportioned silhouettes. Cropped with long. Pajama-inspired and tuxedo formal.

Cropped metallic cotton tuxedo, Topshop; brushed check shirt, Diesel; leopard print clutch, Andre Judd; check and cords combi trousers; suede and snakeskin ankle booties, Andre Judd



Andre Chang 17


If not in style, in energy.


About this look: Golden Skans
Rust, red, olive, and bronze: amazing fall colors reinterpreted for summer. I built the look around two amazing pieces: an amazing jacket with excellent fabric treatment(hand painted with dabs of thick fabric paint in abstract swishes) and a zipper necklace which I think is a work of art. Both when worn exudes such rustic opulence and charm.

Hand-painted crumpled silk jacket, Protacio; bright salmon heathered jersey tee, Topman; pinstriped twisted seam loose trousers and satchel: both Andre Judd; brass zipper necklace, Joel Escober



Andre Chang 18


In flair and vivacity.


About this look: Ethno Elegance
In this look I was trying to bridge cultural inspirations together. The ikat print which is used in American Indian as well as Asian cultures is worn here as a t-shirt and paired with modern day African inspired graffiti zebra stripes, Scottish tartan checks and military cotton camo print bag. Event the proportions are in contrast with one another like the cropped ikat shirt with a longer length tartan button down and cropped trousers with above ankle boots. Instead of typical ethno jewelry I wore czarist inspired gold and bejewelled bangle encased in resin along with my trusted skull bracelet. The neckpiece is the opulent approach to just wearing beaded necklaces.

To Akshay I think the camo printed bag is a more current approach rather than a camo print trouser or jacket non? What do you think? I took out the context of the print being used in a military bag and made it chic by pairing suede and croc skin to make it an ideal weekend bag:)

Overall the whole approach is to embrace diversity and inspirations to create a new context. Again its the postmodernist in me....:)

Camo weekend bag with croc skin and suede, AC for FH; czarist bangle with gold leaf and jewels, gift from Nasia; ikat print cropped tee, vintage; tartan checks button down, from Seoul; punk zebra print trousers, gift; gold dice neckpiece, H&M



Andre Chang 19


That is not restricted to fashion events or parties.


About this look: Techno Folk
This is my version of loooking basic and casual lol! I bought this t shirt and found the ethnic prints very now. I wore it with my trusty folksy necklaces and paired it with a navajo hand beaded trimmed snakeskin clutch:) To give an oriental twist I wore it with balloon stretch twill pants and my favorite comfy Yohjis :)

aztec+navajo+digitalism+japanese kawaii culture+ dandy coif= techno folk

Black leather sneaks with neon green sole, Yohji Yamamoto; ethnic print t-shirt, People Are People; coin necklace, Andre Judd; gray disco beads, gift; snakeskin with navajo beaded trim man clutch, Andre Judd; gold and silver bangles, mix of my designs and bazaar finds; balloon stretch twill pants, Protacio



Andre Chang 20


But is more than welcome in every event and venue.


About this look: Mohawkin'
Fashion week day two: The reason why I decided to ask my uber talented hairstylist Buern to give me a kick ass punk 'do was due to the theme of the shows ill be attending: rock. I wanted something different. Its always a lesson for me to get out of my comfort zone and try out something new. Its not a stretch to my personal style to try because I always like the new may it be a hairstyle, a color, or in this case a whole punk attitude. The only challenge i faced that day was how will my hair fit in the car without touching the ceiling or how willIi watch shows without annoyingly bother the people beside me if I flipped my head to the side. The rest was piece of cake. 
FYI: Its my real hair :) Hair: Buern Rodriguez

Asymmetric frame, prototype design; DIY epaulettes, DIY; acid wash hourglass jacket, from Hong Kong; crown crystal encrusted draped hood top, DIY; Swarovski-encrusted gloves, Joel Escober; sequined leggings; mohawk, Buern Rodriguez