Vintage Finds to Keep

2

I feel like it's been a while since I showed you some of the things that have made their way into my closet. I've been pretty good lately, saving most everything I've found for the shop. But every now and then I'll let something slip through. They can at least hang out in my closet for a little while!

The two dress have fallen victim to the "needs buttons" pile by my sewing table. That pile is higher than I would like to admit. The first dress is a lovely 30s wool jumper with pleats that just melt my heart. And it's got the cutest little Scotty dog on the tag. I'm always a sucker for a cute vintage tag. It's missing two buttons and I can't seem to match them so I think I'm going to have to end up replacing all twelve. Luckily I have quite a stash of vintage buttons after exploring an abandoned coat factory a while back. The second dress is in perhaps my favorite color of the moment - a nice mustardy yellow. It doesn't need buttons replaced as much as it needs buttons rearranged. They're a little bit wonky don't cha think? Seriously, who sewed these on? After reading this post I think I'm finally motivated to get on the button sewing bandwagon so I can wear these before the seasons change again.

3

A while back I mentioned finding a collection of cashmere skirts at a vintage shop. There were three in all and this pretty purple one made its way into my closet (I've still got to list the other two in my shop). I love it but I'm torn about the length. It hits well below the knees and I think I might like it more if it were a bit shorter. I just can't bring myself to cut into the fabric. Seriously, it's the most luxurious thing I think I've laid my hands on. I wish I had some sort of tele-touch screen technology so you could feel it yourself. And it weighs a ton!

The last piece is a 50s-60s era riding coat that I found at the thrift store yesterday. It's a good thing I found it because otherwise I thought my head might implode right there in the Salvation Army. I guess that's what I get for trying to brave Half-Off-Family-Day. The place was packed and I'm not a fan of crowds! It was elbow to elbow in the dress section and I'm always paranoid that someone is going to find all the good stuff before I do. And to add insult to injury, I heard Miley Cyrus not once but twice while I was there. Luckily the trip was salvaged when I found the riding coat. It's far from perfect. Check out that stain on the arm! And there are a couple of small holes but nothing so terrible that a little TLC won't bring it back to life. Now I just need a pair of riding boots and a slick bun to do my best Betty-Draper-goes-riding impersonation.