Adventures in Maryland

If you asked me what my favorite pastime is, I'd have to answer hunting for vintage treastures but a close second is exploring abandoned buildings and homes. My boyfriend and I got a tip on a couple of places in nearby Maryland that we knew wanted to explore. Walking into these places can be like walking into a time capsule. It never ceases to amaze me what can be left behind when a business is closed for the last time. The first place we went was a clothing manufacturer that shut down in the early 80's. When the business closed everything was left behind. Walking into the space was like walking into an industrial sewing machine graveyard. There were thousand upon thousands of overcoats and blazers hanging from floor to ceiling. Scattered across the floors and shelves were vintage fabric samples, boxes of buttons and spools thread. Most all of the clothing was menswear and almost all of it was ruined by the years of neglect. I luckily found one rack of women's coats that were still covered in plastic. Let's just say there's a lovely navy cashmere coat at the cleaner's right now with my name on it. To be continued...