Three silver rings from Maison Martin Margiela

Martin Margiela silver ring 01a


I know I've ranted before how things have deteriorated ever since Martin Margiela, designer and founder, left Maison Martin Margiela, the fashion house. But that doesn't mean that the very capable design team cannot produce top-of-the-line items, like these impeccable silver rings.

This first one is an aged silver signet that has an intentionally imperfect surface, as if it has been bumped and bruised by harder objects.


Martin Margiela silver ring 01b


The slightly distended shape of the signet appeals to me since my fingers are narrow and my joints protrude in the same way.


Martin Margiela silver ring 01c


It peaks out from its box like a pearl. In my opinion, it's not any less precious.


Martin Margiela silver ring 02a


This second ring, chunky and with a smooth rectangular surface, comes in the conventional signet shape, makes the appeal of the set evident. I love the absence of stones or any decoration.


Martin Margiela silver ring 02b


I imagine anyone wearing the rings to literally wield a potent flash of silver.


Martin Margiela silver ring 02c


Without any light shining on it, I imagine this ring to be unnoticeable with a gray outfit. But once the wearer moves, the flat surface would flicker like a cat's eye.


Martin Margiela silver ring 03a


This third ring, a darker version of the one above, reminds me of black mirrors.


Martin Margiela silver ring 03b


A mystery, a secret band of membership.


Martin Margiela silver ring 03c


One would imagine a secret button inside the ring that would slowly and effectively activate something dark and sinister.