Five costume movies + my technicolor/monochromatic dreamcoat




Here is what I wore today. Again paired my thrifted navy blazer with jeans, but this time, also with sneakers. The Penguin tee I decided to work into the outfit to add a classic touch.

Pretty simple compared to the wardrobes used in the five DVD titles I was able to buy this afternoon: Ashes of Time (Redux) by Wong Kar Wai, Red Cliff by John Woo, The Last Metro by François Truffaut, Burn after Reading by the Coen brothers, and finally The Fall by Tarsem. Below are their trailers, plus some video covers and movie stills.


Ashes of Time (Redux)



This is probably the remaining Wong Kar Wai film I haven't seen, except for Blueberry Nights, which I have a copy of, but I haven't gotten around watching.




Wong Kar Wai + Tony Leung Chiu Wai + Maggie Cheung = the unbeatable mix. Expect the unexpected.





Red Cliff



Tony Leung Chiu Wai is also in John Woo's Red Cliff. Although I am not familiar with Woo's work, I like epic Chinese movies and am also a fan of Leung.





The Last Metro



This one I almost left in the shelf until I saw the name of the director, and once again, the lead actors. I don't think I have seen Gerard Depardieu and Catherine Deneuve so young.
















I just have to say that I like the green sweater Depardieu is wearing. That's all.


Burn After Reading



Okay, so this movie is not that period, or old, but the outfits and the treatment is so contemporary American that I included it under the "costume" heading. Plus, it's by the Coen brothers, and Frances McDormand and Tilda Swinton appear in it.




This was screened, I think, just for two weeks here in Manila. I wasn't able to see it, so I immediately bought the DVD when I found it.








The Fall



Now, The Fall. I wouldn't have known of its existence if it weren't for Ant of Alphabetical. How could this 2006 gem of a movie been hiding under a rock and beyond my notice?




And this is what brings me to the second half of my topic: admit it, the lead actor's vest immediately caught your attention.




Besides the band jacket detailing, it looks interesting because it reminds you of a matador. I want the button detailing for my own jacket, but since this is already very ubiquitous, I want to play with the idea of having a tailor create a hybrid.


Spencer ricamata con bottoni, Alexander McQueen; obi, Kyoto Komono. L'Uomo Vogue Gennaio 2006



I want it with the fine button and sequin detailing of this Alexander McQueen piece. I am not yet sure how I would have it made — if everything would be a shade of a single color (black or gray) or if I would use buttons and sequins (shiny or matted or both, and in different sizes) to simulate other patterns, say, python skin.




I admit that the original may have one too many buttons and it would be hard to use such a piece for day-to-day. Maybe I will just reduce the number of buttons then compelte whatever pattern I decide on with fabric. Who knows?

All I know is that I want a unique jacket all my own and with the details I am fond of. Let's see what I (and the tailor) can come up with. For now, I will have to turn Manila inside out in search of the perfect buttons and sequins. I hope the idea is feasible. Let's see!


Navy blazer, thrifted; jeans, Marlboro Classics; tee, Original Penguin; sneakers, Converse

Street photos by Patricia Suzara