Random Things

bercow[1]
A teaser from the Lyell Fall Lookbook, which I've been obsessively checking back to see more

If you can believe it, I've been quite sick again for the past three days, explaining my blog absence. For some reason I always had it in my head that I could really only get sick once a season, the first round giving me some sort of immunity for the next few months. Not to worry - it's nothing serious. Just a good old fashioned cold that makes unpacking even more of a chore than it usually is. Since my head's been buried in a box of Kleenex for the past few days I've got nothing fashion related to talk about. So... I figured it would be a good time to finally get around to responding to a tag I've been hit with a few times. I forget the exact rules, but it was something like "seven random things" or "ten embarrassing things" about yourself. With no further ado here is a list of sevenish random things about me...


  • Even on my happiest of days, I really prefer listening to dark, sort of depressing (in a good way) music. I think I like music that makes me feel nostalgic. Among my favorites: Leonard Cohen, Joy Division, The National.
  • One of my pet peeves is, after stating that I'm a vegetarian, people instantly ask if I eat fish. No, I don't. By definition a vegetarian does not eat fish. In the same vein, it irks me when someone says they are a vegetarian but they eat fish. If you eat fish, you are not a vegetarian. You are, however, a pescetarian.
  • For some reason or another, from my photos, people have the impression that I'm quite tall. I'm actually quite average in height. On a good day, if I stand up very, very straight, I clock in at 5'6". Not short, but not tall either. I wouldn't mind being 5'8". I think that's the perfect height.
  • I have no tolerance for any sort of finger nail maintenance. It makes my skin crawl to hear someone filing their nails. I never paint my nails (well, my toes sometimes) and have only had one manicure in my whole life - a gift from a friend.
  • I wish I made more time for reading. I love to read and always have. Unfortunately I think I read myself to sleep one too many times and now, like Pavlov's dog, have trained myself to become sleepy at the mere cracking of the cover.
  • Whenever I eat ice cream, I stir the whole bowl until it becomes half-melted-ice-cream-soup. Only then can I devour every last tasty drop.
  • I haven't stepped into a salon for a proper haircut since... hmmm, November of 2007? I know it was when we were still living in LA. Since then I've just trimmed away at the ends and bangs myself. But I think it's getting high time I let a professional step in.