Thrift shoe Shangri-La in Pasig

Pasig thrift shoes


Yes, this is how the first shoe rack I saw beckoned. Like a prophet with a life-changing revelation.

I think out of experience, one develops a way of taking a quick glance at a thrift shop and deciding if it's worth visiting. One good sign is a well stocked rack. The first things you notice about this one — besides the boots — are the navy blue boat shoes.

Pasig chukka 01


Though no pair fit me, these chukka boots more than eased the pain. (Pardon the pictures for this post. This pair is actually more tan than olive.) I immediately took a liking to its handmade quality.

First time I saw chukkas I fell for the combination of rough stitching and aproned "skirts". I like the fettuccini laces on this pair. Too bad the one on the left seems to have been shortened.

Pasig chukka 02


The suede needs to be cleaned. But I think the chips in the sole and the weathered parts add to the folk feel of this type of footwear.

Pasig chukka 03


Another interesting detail: rusty metal fasteners.

Pasig laceups 01


I also found these very soft laceups (more mahogany than clayish brown) after the chukkas. In contrast to the boots above, this is a finely constructed pair.

Pasig laceups 02


Just look at the stitching. I also appreciate the thin soles. I wonder how the color will turn out once cleaned.

IMG_2322


Even with just these two pairs, I could have gone home uncontestably happy. Here I am at Shangri-La Mall after the trip to Pasig City, already wearing the laceups instead of the shoes I left the house with.


Tee, People are People; jeans, Bench; belt, Brave Beltworks; laceups, thrifted; PVC bag, 5cm; gold watch, Omega Seamaster

Pasig moccasins 01


But then fate interferred and brought me these tasseled loafers in the last store I stopped by.

The design is simple and clean. Was surprised to see tassel fastenings that looked like staple gun bullets, but eventually they won me over.

Pasig moccasins 02


What is it about good slip-ons and their back stitching?

IMG_2317


Here is Onin Lorente of Style Anywhere, who took my picture and accompanied me around the unfamiliar city.

IMG_2321


And here I am with my camera print tee, a witness to the unfailing power of thrift shopping.