Disappointment at Martin Margiela's artisanal line

Martin Margiela-Augustine Wong 01b


When I first saw this Martin Margiela artisanal bow tie, hand detailed with alternately rusty and shiny brass push tacks, I immediately thought it a thing of beauty. But what I didn't immediately feel was the raw awe that coursed through me when I first set eyes on the blazingly original artisanal pieces of the design house way back when Martin Margiela was still behind its design impetus.


Martin Margiela-Augustine Wong 01


The Maison's bow tie instantly reminded me of Augustine Wong's experiment with safety pins that I wrote about previously.


Martin Margiela-Augustine Wong 02


Sure, the version for the label now under the Diesel group is much more refined and sophisticated. The least you'd expect before handing out £300.


Martin Margiela-Augustine Wong 03


But honestly, I don't feel it added a lot to Augustine's brilliant idea.


Martin Margiela-Augustine Wong 04


I suppose one can expect this.


Martin Margiela-Augustine Wong 05


After a label has lost its soul.


Martin Margiela-Augustine Wong 05b


It is really too bad, especially since I expect the Margiela bow tie will sell well to an audience that may not put much stock to the tag "artisanal".


Martin Margiela-Augustine Wong 06


Be sponged off by an eager, wider market that easily forgets – or never actually appreciated – the genius of a design legend.