Four Ways - Sweater Vest

I suppose it would be more accurate to title this post "Four Looks" rather than "Four Ways" since there's really only one way to wear a sweater vest. But in interest of continuity, "Four Ways" it shall be. This is one of my recently thrifted items that I can already tell will be a staple of my wardrobe come cooler weather. I'm looking forward to pairing with just about every thing from dresses to jeans, from button downs to t-shirts. Once the weather really cools off, I'll be piling even more layers on top, pairing the vest with blazers and my beloved faux leather motorcycle jacket. Here's a breakdown of what you see here:
  • With a patterned vest like this one, you can layer it over a solid basic like a little black dress and let it be your pop of color. A belt wrapped around the waist gives this look a little shape.
  • Sadly, the subtleties of this pairing have been lost in the photo. I've paired the vest with a herringbone skirt and a tiny polka dot blouse. Not that you can tell. I was trying to demonstrate mixing patterns and textures but the details just didn't show up. Well, I guess you'll have to use your imaginations on this one! ;)
  • A vest is always a sure thing paired with jeans. My basic skinny jeans and favorite tee become a little something more when layer with the vest.
  • I also like to wear it with a pair of wide leg jeans and a little boy's button down. With the wide leg of the jean, I like the shrunken fit of a little boy's shirt to keep the proportions in check.

vest